Saturday, December 27, 2008

Ice Fishing in Shorts!

Today was 67 degrees and I went ice fishing in shorts and a t-shirt!



I didn't get to fish long, because I had an extended family Christmas to attend, but I could not pass up the opportunity to fish in shorts! Typically in late February or early March it is common to be out fishing in 50 degree weather and strip down to a t-shirt, but I have never been out on the ice in the upper 60's and especially never in shorts!



My mom and dad took advantage of the warm weather and spent a couple hours out in the shanty. They had to use the shelter, because it was raining most of the time. Mom headed in right before a big thunderstorm hit about noon. Dad staked down the shanty and rode out the storm on the ice! He admitted it was just a bit nerve racking out there.
They caught an absolute ton of fish. Bluegill, Bass and Walleye were all hanging out 5 feet below the ice. The crappie were very aggressive today and were feeding just 2 feet below the ice! I never saw a fish on the vexilar deeper than 7 feet down? Pretty interesting to say the least. I think the fish were enjoying the nice warm new water.

No comments:

Post a Comment