Thursday, September 5, 2013

Bass Fishing Lake X in Illinois

Illinois has a new secret Lake X fishing lake! Back in 2007 I was hired to create the best Multi-Species fishing lake in the state of Illinois. Here we are 6 years later and we are sitting on the cusp of some seriously unbelievable fish.... Here is a sneak peak of some pics from my fishing trip to Lake X over the weekend:


The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department has been doing some genetic studies and experiments on Largemouth Bass down on Lake X in Texas. Some of you may have heard a bit about this, they are taking babies from BIG bass and radio tagging them and stocking them into Lake X.

Anyhow, I dont quite have the resources of the Texas boys, but I have been doing quite a few Largemouth Bass genetics studies and stocking experiments of my own...  I have been stocking various genetics and experimenting with different stocking rates and forage bases and have been tracking data from hundreds of lakes across Illinois and the midwest.

Usually I visit these lakes annually or biannually and sample the fishery by electrofishing. That allows me to track progress and tweek mgmt plans as needed. Here are a couple pics from electrofishing Lake X two years ago:

 

So anyhow over the weekend I sampled Illinois' version of Texas' Lake X via angling. I was joined by InFisherman Field Editor Steve Ryan and his wife Josephine... We caught alot of very big fish, here are the pics from this epic morning of fishing. First I'll start with some of the big Largemouth Bass:










So using the same fishing technique, we also caught a ton of monster hybrid striped bass... we were fishing in water 25-40' deep and focussing our baits down 18-25'. The stripers would smash the baits and take off running. We found the stripers schooled up in 3 different areas and since they were down 25' we could keep catching them without spooking off the school....






A few walleye came out to play as well:




So anyhow we fished from 8 am to 1 pm and then we headed back to my place for some lunch and just a touch more fishin for some additional species....







Then Monday we spent all day setting Redneck Blinds.... time to switch gears from fishes to deers....


120 yards across the bean food plot.....
I have two additional redneck 5x6 combo archery blinds with 15' towers left over and looking for a good home....

No comments:

Post a Comment