Saturday, January 31, 2009

Back on the Hard Water


Our 5 biggest bluegill weighed a combined 5 lbs- 14 oz!

Today was just a great day to be out on the hard water. The sun was shining bright and the air temperature was just about 40 degrees. I was back in my element: Ice Fishing! I headed out fishing today with my dad and his good friend Dave Obergfel.

The fish started out biting real light and relatively slow, and we had to work hard for our first few fish. The fish never did pick up to reach fast and furious status, but we did find some holes with fairly constant action. The bluegill were very shallow today, with most of our fish caught within 5 feet from the ice. Most ice fisherman would have been fishing below the fish today, but our vexilars would show us exactly where to keep our jigs!

Even though we had to work a little bit to get the fish to bite, we ended up catching some of our nicest bluegill and bass of the whole year! Dave really got things cooking today when he landed this 11-7/8" monster bluegill! Really an awesome fish.


About 5 minutes later I landed this 11-3/8" beautiful male bluegill! Although it wasn't quite as long as Dave's monster bluegill, it was about 3/4 of an inch taller.

Altogether we caught 35 bluegill over 8 inches and 6 bass about 1.75 lbs each in about 2 hours of ice fishing. It was just a real nice day, and after our trip I found out that it was Dave's birthday today.

2 comments:

  1. Ice doesn't move as much as the gulf?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I will definitely stick to pond fishing for quite awhile!

    ReplyDelete