Monday, January 19, 2009

Fished a new pond



On Saturday afternoon, I decided to get out for a quick trip to a small subdivision pond we stocked in May 2007. I have been feeding the fish quite a bit through the summer, and they are growing real fast! My fishing partners for this 1.5 hr trip were Chef Todd, Chef Kevin, and my dad.

The wind was blowing 15 to 20 mph and the temp was about 25 degrees. Overcast skies. Actually felt like a heat wave compared to the below zero temps all last week! I didnt know quite where the fish would be and what kind of mood they would be in since it had been one full week since my last fishing trip.

Kevin hooked into a 3 lb+ channel cat in his first two minutes of fishing, but that fish was too strong for the brand new line Chef Todd just put on Kevins new pole! About 5 minutes later, Kevin is battling another nice eatin' catfish, but this one proves to be too smart for the ice fishing veteran of just one previous trip.



It wasnt until Kevin had hooked, fought and lost 3 big boys that Chef Todd finally got a bite. He was only fishing 3.5 feet away from Kevin! To stick with the theme of the day, Chef graciously let that catfish get away. If you ask him about it, he did that voluntarily so Kevin wouldnt feel so bad!


Chef did redeem himself with this nice bass.



Anyhow, the bluegill were no where to be found at our first set of holes. It took me about 30 minutes and a dozen holes, before I finally found where the bluegills were hanging out. Once we found them, we caught about 25 nice ones before moving back to the catfish holes. We ended up hooking into 16 catfish altogether, and only landed 4 of them! We also caught 2 nice LMB to go along with 25 bluegill.

3 comments:

  1. Nice blog. I enjoyed reading and looking at it. I found the blog thanks to a mention at Stream Stalker by Jonn Graham. I have several blogs that revolve around fishing, the main one is Bass Pundit. I put a link to your site on my Blogroll-O-FishNblog.

    Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog and I intend to read it all when I have time. I found your blog with a mention from HtD and following the links from your company site. Good looking fish you are getting through the ice! Keep up the good work.

    Hocky from midwestangling.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys for the kind words! I will definitely check out your sites and blogs, and maybe even hook up at some point for an afternoon of fishing.

    ReplyDelete