Thursday, January 15, 2009

Pond Boss Magazine

Mae is awake now, but she needs to stay in bed until 7 am. She knows its getting close, and she also knows I am awake and keeps asking me questions that she knows will generate a response from me. Don't be fooled, 3 year olds are stinkin' geniusses... That doesnt look right, lets try genius'......genius's......I guess really smart would just be easier for me to write.

Anyhow sticking with my what I do when I am not fishing theme....... my absolute favorite website and magazine is Pond Boss

Pond Boss Magazine is a must have magazine for anyone who owns a pond or some land. I would also highly recommend the mag to every fisherman as well. Bob Lusk has assembled an amazing collection of outdoor writers. From the nations leading pond and lake managers, to the most famous wildlife bioligists and professors, all the way to coming soon in 2009........even yours truly! The Pond Boss magazine content is very easy to read, often times funny, yet VERY INFORMATIONAL. 

Here is some more grammatically correct information about the magazine:

At POND BOSS our magazine gives helpful
tips from the nation's leading pond
professionals. And we use plain English.
Learn how to clear a muddy pond. How to
put weight on your fish. How to prevent a
devastating fish-kill. Learn what fish should
be removed from your lake, and which ones
should stay. Find out what's new in the
world of private ponds and lakes.

The next aspect of Pond Boss, is the website. The Pond Boss website has a collection of books and videos about creating ponds, raising trophy fish, and treating aquatic vegetation. Thats all fine and dandy, but the real meat to the website is the Ask the Boss section. 
I will start with the official description and then put my twist on it:

Get Q&A with the top biologists and
fisheries consultants in North America…
Photos and illustrations of vegetation and
fish species…Free referral service…
Instructional handbooks…Do-It-Yourself
videos…Fish recipes…The latest in fisheries
management techniques.

At POND BOSS, we're the national clearing
house for fish and fisheries management.
What makes us so smart? Lake owners just
like you share their practical field
experience.

Now for my description of this section:
The Pond Boss website has basically been the foundation of my career in Lake Management. I have spent literally thousands of hours reading and researching every tidbit of information, and more importantly, hashing out ideas, experiments, and answering questions posted by fellow pondmeisters from across the nation. Regulars on the forum are the absolute smartest pond, water, vegetation, and fish experts in the world; and they will answer your personal pond, water, vegetation, or fish questions immediately (and for free). I regularly post pictures, experiments, answer questions, and philosophize on there as well. 

The last aspect of the Pond Boss conglomeration is the official Pond Boss Conference. This year it will be held in September at the Big Cedar Lodge near Branson, MO. There will be many pond topics and speakers; fishing celebrities; hands on seminars like electrofishing, fish cleaning, etc; fishing tournament; many lake product vendors; and lots of social time with the Who's Who in the world of ponds and fish.  I wont be speaking at this event, because I pretty much forget my name when put in front of people, but Justin and I will be there a few days before and after helping set up/take down, doing a bit of fishing, and just for lack of a better term- hanging out. 

1 comment: