Saturday, January 10, 2009

Graham's Big Bluegill




We had a small army out on the lake today. Jon Graham Sr's group of guys was a pleasure to spend the day with. I never did nail down all 5 guys names, because they were all calling each other by nicknames such as weezer, tater, ray....never mind, I think Ray was the guys real name. Anyhow they were a great group of guys! Also along for the trip was my dad and dad in law and Justin.

Here is an action shot of Weezer and Ray.


Also would just like to say a special thanks to Chef Todd for cooking perhaps the best shore lunch of the entire year. By 10 am I had already cleaned 35 boone and crockett bluegill and Chef Todd had them cooked to perfection at noon sharp. Not only did we feast of fresh fish, but he whipped up some cheesy bacon hash browns, homemade cole slaw, and grilled the trout from yesterday. Its 9 pm and I am still full!!! My only regret is not taking any pics of the feast.

Now on to the fishing report for the day. The fish started biting just a bit slow, and it took us a few holes before we got onto some active fish. When we did, the action was pretty consistent for about 2 hours. Bluegill were hitting a variety of jigs tipped with waxworms anywhere from 4 to 10 feet below the ice. We caught well over 135 bluegill between 8.25 and 10.25 inches. Also added about 8 bonus bass as well.

The wind was howling, and the temperature was dropping throughout the day. We moved to my dad's pond at 11 am and set up shop before heading into for lunch. Just a handful of medium bluegill hit before lunch, and I dont know what happened after lunch? I had to go shut down a pump at the fishing park so they boys were on their own. They were on a quest for the elusive Jumbo Perch. I have some HUGE Jumbos in my dads pond, but for some reason we havent been able to find them this year through the ice? Maybe they got a hold of one or two? I am anxious to find out!

Here are some nice 'gils that we caught:

No comments:

Post a Comment