Friday, January 28, 2011

Versatile Ice Fishing Jigs

On Wednesday I fished with Greg Wade of Wade's Blades Ice Fishing Jigs. I tied on more jigs wednesday than any other day of ice fishing in my life. It was amazing to see the fish react different to each style and color of jig from basically the same fishing holes. Usually I am just a bait guy who focusses on using fresh bait on any sort of jig to catch fish, but I am slowly and surely becoming a jig guy.

Anyhow we took quite a bit of video footage and a bunch of pictures. Here are a few:








Greg makes most of his jigs by hand with premium and very sharp fishing hooks. Also another thing I really liked is he paints them too and there is no paint goo in any of the eyelets! That is super annoying about most mass produced jigs!! I now am the proud owner of pretty much a lifetime supply of ice fishing jigs (unless I lose them over the summer), but actually now that I think of it I will be using them during the summer as well. They are going to be dynamite for many open water bluegill and crappie fishing applications!

3 comments:

  1. Nate
    Those fish just keep getting better and better. I would love to get one of gills on my 3 wt. I think I would have a fight on my hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read an article about how ice fishing jigs are all the rage in California (during all of the seasons) bought some earlier this ice season to fish with but I cant wait to use them in the summer also

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bill, surprisingly I don't take many folks flyfishing.

    Josh, its amazing how well ice fishing jigs work in the summertime. Most panfisherman use way too big of tube jigs in open water and really miss out on a whole bunch of extra fish by downsizing to match the hatch.

    ReplyDelete