Thursday, February 4, 2010

Buckets of Bluegill!

Took a client and his buddies from Chicago for their first ever ice fishing trip on Tuesday afternoon. We met at the gander mountain in Peoria at 12:00 and then headed over to my favorite bluegill ice fishing pond. I was running late to gander and starving, so I decided to hit up the new burger king across from my office on Allen Rd. I am more of a Arbys/Mcdonalds kind of guy and havent had burger king for years. Anyhow they have a value menu just like everyone else these days and let me just say that their $1 double cheeseburger blows Micky D's out of the water! 

Alright enough with the nonsense and on to the fishing trip!  Art and his buddies Hester, AJ, and Lowell picked up ice fishing faster than anyone I have ever seen in my entire life! It only took 3.5 hours for them to fill up several 5 gallon buckets full of over 140 tasty bluegill! 


My bluegill pond is a bit overstocked right now so we still need to remove 500 more fish this winter. Still need to take 3 more ice fishing trips to this pond to reach my goal, but let me just say that I ain't cleaning all those fish when you catch 'em.

I have been fishing with Art for 3 years now and every time he comes down he brings some new people. He is a great guy who enjoys everything about fish. I just have to give him a hard time publicly here on this blog post, because his buddies piles of fish put a serious hurting on Art's fish pile!!! Fellas, never let him live this down!

Lowell going to town!

Hester running two rigs:

Art and his measley pile

He did get a nice one though, just look at the excitement!


Art, not only is this one bigger, but have Lowell teach you how to smile as well as fish!


I will put Art and Lowell's bluegill pics up onto bigbluegill.com later this week. We were fishing in 5-7 foot of water over weedbeds with any type of small jig tipped with a waxworm. Occasionally a pesky largemouth would pop a tip-up flag or grab a bluegill jig to make things even a bit more interesting.




We all had alot of fun ice fishing today. Its always nice when the fish are biting!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment